Walking tracks – Bluff area,
click map for larger size
This new walkway begins opposite the Greenpoint Cemetry. Approximate walking time [one way] is 15 minutes at a leisurely walking pace. A well graded walking track and boardwalk follows the shoreline to Greenpoint, providing panoramic views across Bluff Harbour. At the Greenpoint picnic area, a viewing platform overlooks the ship graveyard and identifies some of Bluff Harbour’s historic landmarks.
All other Bluff walkways are accessible from the Stirling Point Signpost
- From Stirling Point to Lookout Point [Foveaux Memorial] 50minutes.
- Stirling Point to Ocean Beach 2 hours. [No dogs permitted on this track.]
Both tracks are easy walking around the coast.
- Stirling Point to Bluff Hill/Motupohue 2 hours.
Follow Stirling Point track to Lookout Point then uphill to the top of Bluff Hill
This track is also accessible from the top of Bluff Hill.
- Either begin at Stirling Point or the Gunpit Road access.
From Stirling Point either follow the Foveaux Walkway to the beginning of the Glory Track [approx 20 minutes] or from Stirling Point take a 10 minute walk up the hill past the Drunken Sailor Restaurant. At the top of the hill gunneries can be viewed then continue walking from the Gunpit Entrance around to Stirling Point. This round trip takes approx. 50 minutes.
- Gunpit Road to Bluff Hill/Motupohue via the Topuni Track. This is a 45 minute steep climb to the top of Bluff Hill. Alternatively begin at the top and descend to Stirling Point
- Part of the extensive network of tracks around Bluff Hill. This track takes walkers from Lookout Point on the Foveaux Walkway to the summit of Bluff Hill through wind torn shrubs. Great seaviews across to Rakiura are visible along the way. Allow 45 minutes for this steep uphill track.
- The Topuni Track is an undulating track passing through light forest taking walkers from the Stirling Point carpark to the top of Bluff Hill. Allow 45 minutes uphill.
All tracks require solid footwear.